Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Today's the Day



At about 1:30 am last night we quit playing speed scrabble and scrabble-anagrams to hit the sack.  At 4:40 am Steve woke me up to tell me that Brooke's contractions were really strong.  It took us only about 5 minutes for all of us to get dressed (sort of) and out the door.  Brooke could hardly stand it, but was so, so brave.  Steven pulled up to the emergency entrance and I hopped out & grabbed a wheel chair.  This was all dramatic enough it could have come out of a movie.  (all my trips to the hospital were boring)  I barked to the receptionist to contact labor and delivery and told them her name is Brooke Redfern.  Then I took off, crossing my fingers that I'd be able to navigate the ridiculous maze through the under-construction hospital.  But I immediately got stuck at locked doors.  (Why do they lock the doors during the night?  people still need to get places ...)  The security guard saw me about ready to break the doors down and he unlocked and let me through.  Meanwhile, Steven was parking and hurrying in.  Just as we reached the elevator someone dressed in scrubs caught up with us and chewed me out for trying to do this alone.  "What if she delivered in the elevator?  You wouldn't want to be alone with her."  (Actually, that would have been preferable to being with this orderly!)  Going up the elevator this lady put her face right next to Brooke's and did "he-he-hoo ... he-he-hoo"  That was the only smile I saw on Brooke for several hours.  I did everything I could to not laugh.  I know her intentions were good, but it was really, really funny.  Brooke's big fear was that they wouldn't keep her and we'd be sent home.  NOT!!!!  There was no way Steven or I would have left.  Thankfully, oh so thankfully, Brooke's doctor, Dr. Cutie-Pie as he's come to be known, was on call and we were put right into birthing room 3.  It took 3 tries and finally a nurse anesthetist to get her IV in.  We were admitted at about 5 am and by 7:00 she had her epidural in her and working.  OH JOY!!!!!  I went home to see if I could catch some zzzzzs and to pick up a few things we forgot.  I slept for about 1/2 hour and it was blissful, but I just couldn't stay asleep.  I got up, got everything ready, and just as I was about to walk out the door Steve called to say the baby's heart rate was too high and Brooke had a fever.  They were talking about a C-section.  We had a few hours of great concern - both for Brooke and for the baby.  She was sizzling hot.  Eventually, things got back to normal (thanks for the prayers) and as of an hour ago, she was at a 7+, having great contractions, and the baby is happy, happy, happy - as evidenced by his heart rate.  The kids are both asleep right now.  I'm so thankful for epidurals!  I have newfound gratitude and love for Brad after watching Brooke go through her intense pain.  Brad had to watch that and more with me, as I had an epidural with only one birth - the rest were natural.  I know I thought I would die with a couple of the births, but after watching Brooke, I can't imagine how hard it was for Brad to watch me.  A new update after we welcome our little guy .....

2 comments:

Trevor, Caci, and Jace said...

HOOOOOOOORAY!!!! WE ARE SOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!!!

Erin said...

Wow! How amazing and exciting! Can't wait to see some pictures :)