Monday, January 25, 2010

the power of prayer

Several things have turned my thinking
to prayer
these last few days.
In Women's Conference, Sister Leavitt said something like:
"What do we do when we don't know what to do?
We drop to our knees and we pray."
Brooke and I were having a phone conversation last week.
(we talk every day ... YAY for me!)
One of the things our conversation turned to was Alma the Younger
and the fact that his big change-of-heart came about
because of the prayers of his father.
It appears that Alma didn't even know that he wanted to change
until his father's prayers were answered.
I use prayer on a regular basis for my personal benefit.
I need to be comforted
I need to be directed
I need to be inspired
I'm grateful - oh so grateful! for the power of prayer in my personal life.
But I also know that there is great power in prayer
when offered in behalf of others.
There are important, even vital things that have
come about in my life and in the lives of those I love
because of the prayers of someone else.
The heartfelt prayers of a parent for a child
seem to elicit a near-immediate, heartfelt response
from our loving Father.
This I know to be true.

No comments: